Coordinators: Slovenia and Bosnia and Herzegozina
The specific objectives for this pillar are:
- To ensure a good environmental and ecological status of the marine and coastal environment by 2020 in line with the relevant EU acquis and the ecosystem approach of the Barcelona Convention.
- To contribute to the goal of the EU Biodiversity Strategy to halt the loss of biodiversity and the degradation of ecosystem services in the EU by 2020, and restore them in so far as feasible, by addressing threats to marine and terrestrial biodiversity.
- To improve waste management by reducing waste flows to the sea and, to reduce nutrient flows and other pollutants to the rivers and the sea.
Two topics are identified as pivotal in relation to environmental quality in the Adriatic-Ionian Region:
- Topic 1 - The marine environment
- Topic 2 - Transnational terrestrial habitats and biodiversity
For further information about pillars and topics, please see the EUSAIR Action Plan.pdf